Sunday 25 January 2009

Talking homes

I am a Londoner in my twenties. You would think from radio, tv and films that would mean when out and about at the weekend I would be talking about men, bars, fashion... those kind of sexy, rock n roll things. I do talk about those subjects but because this is London and England I'm afraid the conversations still somehow turn to property- as if we were out parents!

There are times when I am happy to talk about flats, houses, buying, renting and so on but there are times when it really can be quite awkward in a social situation. I'm afraid I think the property topic is a little like religion or politics, best kept away from the dinner table or bar stools.

The topic inevitably throws up differences in people but unlike religion or politics they tend to be differences we can't help.

Religion or politics are at least a choice we make. We can't necessarily choose whether we can afford to rent or buy, or indeed whether we can afford a house or a flat, or certain postcodes.

I am very lucky to even be able to look for properties. Most of the people I meet who are fortunate and are able to have houses or flats bought for them are very grateful and know they are lucky. However it doesn't seem to stop them saying things like people are stupid because they rent or to buy in a certain area. While I don't mind for myself so much(although if anyone would like to give me half a million pounds I would be most grateful!) but it can throw up quite an awkward feeling around the dinner table.

Equally it can throw up quite an awkward feeling if these things aren't mentioned, if someone just says oh I am buying a house in x and you can see everyone wondering how but not wanting to ask- and the purchaser being embarrassed to say.

So I think the three topics to possibly avoid at dinner parties are religion, politics and property.

No comments: